Friday, January 11, 2013

Butting the buts.

I have been listening for "buts" lately.
Like, in a statement such as this: You did a really good job, but...
The "but" negates the words that came before it, weakening the compliment, or whatever else is said before the but.
I think it could be said: You did a really good job. Next time let's focus on...
...or something like that.
Once I started listening for buts, in my own words and others, they've started to stand out. I am trying to  particularly catch myself using it, so I can change it.
Someone mentioned to me that he caught himself "butting" a lot when talking to his kids- in both reprimands and compliments, and would tell himself not to "but" himself.

In the seminar I went to last summer they suggested using "yes, and..." instead of "but..." because it is less divisive when trying to build a community up and and trying to rally support for a cause.

Listen for it. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good points! I will have to listen to myself, and my "buts"
~ann b.

MindiJo said...

Interesting! I will give it a try. Hopefully I will find that I don't do it that often. HOPEFULLY.

Julie said...

I do that sometimes, too. It's good to be aware of those things- glad you shared this.