Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tonight.

Tonight, on the way home from the neighbors, Sadie said we had a "family night". Indeed it was. I asked her if it was a good thing, and she said it was.

Ron brought the twins over there on the four wheeler earlier to play and entertain the folks. The rest of the kids and I followed later- we decided to collaborate on supper. I brought a couple items over and we cobbled a meal together- the best kind, really.

The kids didn't want to leave our snowbanks until I reminded them there would be fresh, unmarked snowbanks over there. Then they were thrilled.

The kids played in the snow, Buppa listened to wrestling on the radio, Mom and I visited and drank some coffee. Too bad Ron had left for work, a night shift.

Sadie is right. It was a family night. Pleasantly simple and unplanned with no expectations.
I hope it is a memory the kids carry with them, as I will. A memory to take out and polish now and then, like a favorite stone. Solid and warm.