Friday, June 22, 2012

Riding bike...

...behind the eight year old.

I finally got my mountain bike tires put back on my bike, so I can ride with the kids on our thickly graveled road.
So Sam and Sadie and I went for a ride last night. After biking some miles and then doing some exploring, we turned around to come home.
It started to rain, as I coasted behind Sam on his bike.
Instead of booking for home, like Sadie was doing, Sam stopped and turned his eyes to the skies to check which way the clouds were moving, describing to me how they had changed directions earlier.
Then he hopped back on his bike, meandering on, telling me how he liked the haylage smell, then describing the manure pit smell, the wet dust on pavement smell, on and on...
He started wondering if it was raining at home, and stopped to tell me he liked the feel of the rain.

I realized at some point that it was really a treat to be enjoying this trip with an eight-year old, who knows how to thoroughly enjoy a bike ride...stopping to smell the neighbor's farm, check out the clouds, talk about the weather...and his grin, that made it so worth it.

Take a ride with an eight-year old.




3 comments:

Yvonne said...

very true.
and it's interesting how a smell can conjure up a memory from many years ago too.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a perfect bike ride!
~ann b.

MindiJo said...

Aww, sweet. What a perfect bike ride.