Saturday, June 9, 2012

photojournalism.


I have been concentrating on developing my style as a photojournalist lately. It's said it takes a thousand, or is it 10,000, times of doing something before you get good at something. I have taken a lot of photos in the last year, since I got this camera approximately a year ago and began working as a reporter about 11 months ago. In that time I have taken thousands of photos since then.
At first I had to get used to taking photos of strangers, and feeling like it was legitimate to do so as a reporter.
Then I had to work on figuring out settings for different environments. By far the hardest place for me to take photos is in school gymnasiums.
Now I think more about the scene and how I can capture what is going on, without making the picture seem static. Composition and framing, trying the shoot an interesting photo.
Last week I shot a bunch of photos at a Little League game. The boys above aren't strangers, but both teams were from towns I cover, so I went into both dugouts and shot photos. It was so much fun! The kids were playing  ball, and didn't care that I was there. Plus, they are used to seeing me wander around with a camera. I had a nice color photo story of the gold team below in one of the papers I write for.
The thing is, every event is so different, such as a Memorial Day service at the cemetary compared to graduation, so it doesn't get boring. Plus, I don't have to sit through events. I get to walk around and check out all angles...

2 comments:

MindiJo said...

Oh, that bottom photo is fabulous! You caught the dust cloud that catching the ball created. Perfect. Good job.

That top photo is surprisingly interesting. Who wuddathunkit? I like them all, actually. You are good with your camera.

ethiopifinn said...

I came back here to see you just now, and I saw it: the dog's outfit matches her owner's clothes. Heh.

I like that idea of getting comfortable being mobile and in the midst of an event while behind the camera. It is sort of like taking your studio out for a walk! Creating and capturing right under our noses.

I am really intrigued by your journalism work. It would be so difficult for me. It's an adventure for me to see what you do.