Thursday, February 9, 2012

A book recommendation.

Every now and then I pick up Sadie's books and read them.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. (This book was Sam's.) I had never read it before. I think when I was a kid, Gary Paulsen had just started writing.
If you haven't read it, you should. It's a modern classic chapter book.

Then I read Call Me Francis Tuckett, also by Gary Paulsen. A quick read, but good. Both of these books are part of a series, and I will probably read more. The nice thing is they are quick to read.

Yesterday, I read a book Sadie brought home. Ron read it first, and said it was good, so I picked it up. It is Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen. It is along similar lines as The Hatchet, a boy learning life lessons in the wilderness, but I think it is a newer, lesser known book than The Hatchet.

There are lessons the main character is learning, that I am still working on. I was also fascinated with how it touched on Native American traditions, and the purpose of them.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

have you done kid's books on tape? one that we really enjoyed as a family, especially on road trips, was "The Indian in the cupboard".