Thursday, December 15, 2011

I am a wrestling mom now.

Ron and I have been hesitant to get our kids involved in sports at the elementary level. They have done Saturday morning hockey through Community Education. They weren't interested in doing that again this year. For us, it becomes a lot of driving, as we live so far from the school.

This year the boys really wanted to be in wrestling. Those of you in MI and IL might not be too familiar with the sport, but it's big here in MN, and I've had brothers and nephews in it.
So, we decided it was a go. There are two practices a week, and tournaments they can go to mostly on Saturdays. The Elementary program is very flexible, and it is up to the parents to choose how many practices and tournaments they want to attend.

Part of the reason for them to be in wrestling is that is a good way for them to wear off lots of energy in the wintertime.

Last night was their first practice. I was impressed with the coaching and what they had the boys do. It involves lots of physical conditioning, learning moves, and having fun.

Sam had this big smile on his face the whole time. I could see he was loving it- even while they were doing a drill involving slamming their bodies into the mat.

Ted had been at the eye dr. beforehand and had his eyes dilated. At practice, his pupils were still huge and when he took his glasses off, he couldn't see a thing. He still worked his hardest, and loved it. He can't wait until Monday, when they hand out singlets.

So, I guess that decision has been made. The boys are in wrestling.
Sadie isn't interested in sports at this point...though she was talking about cross country next fall.

4 comments:

MindiJo said...

Yay! for kids wearing off their energy in the dark winter evenings!

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I have heard more about the half-nelson and cross-face (?) than ever before. The boys went to bed without a fight for the first time all school year. they were tired and happy!

Anonymous said...

oops. that was me. Jess

Anonymous said...

I am quite pumped to have other ladies to visit! I have learned so much about the sport and the basics from the program...
Kristine H