
(This boot was at the VFW I visited for one of my stories. It was put there by Blue Star Mothers, to solicit donations of change for postage.)
Never before have I paid as much attention to Veteran's Day, as I have this year. This year I interviewed two WWII veterans, and the mother of a soldier currently serving in Kuwait. I also spoke with the county Veteran's Service Officer.
My understanding of what it means to be a veteran is so much clearer; the sacrifices they have made and what they have done to preserve our freedom.
In my opinion, Americans do not appreciate this enough. I know I have not.
In my interviews, I kept hearing "When you see a veteran, take the time to say thanks, and shake their hand."
So tomorrow, take a moment to say a prayer for those who are currently serving, and give a veteran the thanks they deserve. A handshake would mean so much too.
I will be attending the Veteran's Day program at the school. My son is excited and proud to be singing in it. I have a feeling it will be a bit more emotional for me after hearing the first hand stories of what it means to be a vet.
Here is a link to the article I wrote about the soldier currently serving in Kuwait.

3 comments:
I really liked the article. It is a reminder of what the servicemen and women do/have done for us.
Good article Jan. One time we were at a hotel where a gathering of WWII veterans had gotten together. I thanked the ones I saw, and they all looked so surprised when I did.
~ann b.
Oh! That family. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment