Friday, August 26, 2011

Today's opportunity.

Today, as part of my job, I got to hike in the forest to where a team of Americorps people were building a trail, which will be part of the North Country Trail- the trail system that currently goes from the middle of North Dakota and runs across the nation to the edge of New York state.

It was really interesting. If you are between age 18 and 24, and the Peace Corp appeals to you- this is a national version of it. Seems like it might be a good way to see the country and gather up some skills, plus earn some $ towards college or college loans.

These folks, 10 of them, 5/5 sex ratio, have been traveling around since February, working on various projects. Tomorrow they are moving on to Virginia and Hurricane Irene, to run a Red Cross shelter. They did tax prep in Ohio, tornado cleanup in St. Louis, flood cleanup in Rochester, MN. And now making trails in Northern MN.

If I was in the age range and single, I would be signing up today. Check out my link up there if you're interested.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

and i think i'd join you Jan.

Anonymous said...

Good article on the Wolf Lake volunteers, and the photo was darling!! Lolly

Elizabeth Halt said...

I've looked at Americorp off and on. Well, not since I got a dog, but in my pre-dog days. I liked the sound of it, though never as much as the Peace Corp. I would still do that first.

Also, Go, Jasper and Sadie!

Amy said...

I was in the AmeriCorp when I lived in the UP and really enjoyed it! The chapter up there is involved in the schools and daycare centers so we didn't travel. It was still a great experience still and paid for some of my school!