Saturday, November 14, 2009

Home school lowdown.

I realized this week why I feel like I am falling farther behind in the housework department.

Because I am. As you know, I do not enjoy the constant cleaning it would take to keep this house tidy and sparkling. And I should be sorting stuff and relocating stuff to our new upstairs- putting this house "upright."

But, brilliant me, I realize this week that I have all my kids home every day all day- making messes, eating food, and creatively playing.

Home school does take some time. A couple of hours a day, approximately. Some days more. And I spend time before I go to bed arranging their school work for the next day. But I do enjoy it. It gives me something to think about, ponder on and a reason to come up with new ideas. In other words, it takes some "mental time" besides the actual school time.

To me, the only downfall with home schooling is the mess. A house with less people in it stays cleaner. Duh. I have more people here than if the kids were going to school. If they were going to school they would be coming home tired and cranky, not ready to play some big imaginative setup like farm or garage sale.

Be assured, my kids do jobs every morning and they help out some during the day. But it doesn't equal out.

So it's sad really, that the worst part of home schooling is the mess. I am "coming to terms" with this- the mess of having your own children around you should not be so negative, should it? I mean, it doesn't seem right that the only reason I would send my kids to public school is because I don't like the mess they make...

What's a gal to do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try Flylady.com. it's kinda cheesy but it works pretty good

ethiopifinn said...

you are asking the WRONG lady. because i *know* this is communication directly with *me*. lol.

good luck! :)