The kids were not too patient to sit and watch the video clips of veterans speaking about their experiences but I still think it was a worthwhile trip. We met a WWII vet near the restrooms- so we had our chance to thank him.
I would love to go back and really watch and listen to all the video clips and interactive pieces. I really have not had enough understanding and respect for what our vets have gone through. I was watching video of a man speak who was a POW in the Bataan Death March of WWII. He looked like a ordinary older gentleman- I would never guess this man went through such torture in his lifetime. I was reminded again that we cannot know the gifts inside the package by looking at the wrapping on the outside.
So really, thank a veteran. And all those who are serving our country right now. They deserve it.
5 comments:
My neighbor is a veteran who was in the Bataan Death March. I'd love to hear what he has to say. But I have met his brother and SIL and they tell me he is a very private person and will not discuss it. And, yes, that is why I try not to bother him too much anymore. Sometimes I still bring him fresh baked cookies and such though. I just wish he'd want to chat more. Our senior citizens have so much to say that we could learn from. Whether they want to share or not.
I've been really, really wanting to go to ITOW ever since it opened. I've just got to make time when I don't have kids along. An elderly gentleman I used to visit for homecare was interviewed there, I'd really like to hear more of his story. I'm always amazed what humans can endure when I hear their stories. One can't even imagine.
A bit off the Vet theme, but...
An excellent book on human endurance: 'All But My Life'
A true memoir of a women surviving Jewish concentration camp. amazing.
(i'm brita h's sister)
Love this post, Jan. It's amazing their sacrifices. I am in awe.
and you can't really "blame" them if they aren't able to talk about their experiences. How could they come back to civilization and even attempt to try to explain what they experienced to us common folk who have had nothing in our lives that would even come close to what they endured? hats off to every last one of 'em.
Post a Comment