Yesterday's posse and I had lunch with the folks.
During this time of transition aforementioned, I have had time to do a few things that one can only do with time.
Yesterday Max and Stuart were my sidekicks. We dug out the duplos and I even got down on the floor to build a house and garage.
Then we headed into town to visit these folks. I figured I should share the boys' smiles and good cheer with them, plus I had a pan of leftovers to share for lunch. We even got the clocks and pictures hung on the wall while we were there.
It was a good visit.
Other stuff I have had time to do:
- Be Ron's sidekick on his errands. We got new baby calves, so we ran around picking up gear for them. And I have assisted with feeding.
- A whirlwind trip to St. Paul for Sadie's state dog show. Hit Mall of America and Como Zoo at a run. Ted accompanied us this year.
- Take lots of naps. I get tired during season change. I have come to expect it, and I have not been let down.
- Co-lead the new 4-H ambassador group in our county. These are high school age 4-Hers. We had our first meeting this past week.
- I have also taken on the coordinator position for the county's 4-H Shooting Sports and Wildlife project. This includes scheduling instructors and gun ranges, finding educators for learning about wildlife. I am attending a seminar in October to find out what else it involves. Part of my motivation for doing this is that I want my kids to learn safety first at the range, and learn to be good sportsmen (and women).
- Cook. My kids eat. It seems like every time I turn around, we need groceries.
- Dabble with some collages. I realize that I have a complex about being a collage artist, but that it's really who I am. Though it seems that collage has gained credibility in the past ten years, I kinda am embarrassed to admit that's what I do. Like you're not really an artist if that's what I do. Especially when you have relatives that paint, draw, etc. and do stuff that people think artists do. How do you explain that you steal other images and combine them into a mess on a canvas or paper- and that really you're trying to make a statement about something with all that. Especially when it evolves at a really subconscious level for me. Really. I work from my gut on this stuff...I am trying to figure it out. And really, I am trying to get together a decent portfolio of work, so I can pursue other stuff. There, I said it. It has been hard to commit my brain to that.

2 comments:
Awesome, Jan! I'd love to see your work. I'm sure it's good, if you're doing it from the heart. And interesting about napping during season change. Season change takes SO much energy and emotion, and I never thought to just take more naps...:)
If you think of it, we're always collecting from someone/somewhere else-recipes, photos, clothing, even stories. You take something away from every experience you have and it adds another layer, another image to what we see as our existence. Life is a constantly evolving collage already and what you are doing is translating that on paper (or whatever medium you work in best). I see collages as a free-form snapshot of life as it's happening. (Does this make sense to anyone but me?)
Post a Comment