Thursday, August 8, 2013

Odd.

Yesterday, while I was at a thrift store in Fargo, I was digging for my keys to get in my vehicle, when an older lady approached me, telling me she missed the bus because it didn't stop at the bus stop due to construction...
I told her I would give her a ride. She said she would pay, but I brushed that off.
I have chided Ron for picking up hitchhikers, and here I was giving someone a ride across town. I call her a lady instead of a woman, because she was a lady- she looked feminine and tidy.

I had seen her in the thrift store, the cheapest thrift store in town that is attached to a homeless shelter, I think, (best thrift store in Fargo, which is why I am not naming it, haha ) and she had told the cashier she had to hurry to catch the bus.

So I loaded her box in the back of the Jeep, her in the front, and away we went.

She was originally from Spain, so she spoke with an accent. And she spoke the whole way, hardly stopping, I could tell she needed to "get her words out" since she lived alone.

From what I could discern between her rush to talk and her accent, is that she had been displaced by the Minot flood that happened last year. Her and her son have a small house there, and it was damaged by flood waters. She is living in Fargo until they can get the house fixed. She is living without a car, to save money to fix the house.

So, I got to hear a story and the lady got a ride across town. I left her at her apartment building and drove away thinking, "that was odd."

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

well, first off, i'm glad it ended on a good note and secondlly, i l.o.v.e. encounters like this -- a glimpse..

ethiopifinn said...

Curious!
Brave of both of you women.

MindiJo said...

Huh. That's interesting.