(Woodsy Oasis. I took this photo while Ted and I were out with the camera.)
Summer is marching on here, like it does every year.
It is that time when getting 4-H projects ready for the fair takes precedence over most everything, except dentist appointments.
Here is what it sounds like: the other day, I had Sam upstairs in the studio wood burning a sign. The twins were downstairs at the kitchen table working with acrylic paint and stamps. Sadie was in my bedroom, laying out her sewing pattern on the fabric. Later, Ted and I went out on a photo taking excursion. As he was wielding the camera, I reminded him to practice what he learned at the photo class this spring.
"I know mom, I am thinking about it." he told me. Wow.
I was bouncing between all three, reminding everyone to have patience, as there is only one of me, and lots of them. They did pretty well with the patience.
Later, Ted and I went out on a photo taking excursion. As he was wielding the camera, I reminded him to practice what he learned at the photo class this spring.
"I know mom, I am thinking about it." he told me. Wow. His eye and attention to detail does amaze me. In short order he had taken 60 photos.
Working on 4-H projects always harkens me back to my own childhood when I did the same. Sewing, baking, showing calves and more. I had a patient mother, and I have learned much from her.
There is always a bit of pressure behind it all: that of a DEADLINE.
Yesterday, we had to run to town after discovering we didn't have the right sewing machine needles for Sadie's fabric. I hadn't thought of that ahead of time. While we were there, we had to get photos developed and lots of other little errands, mostly related to the "projects."
And research. There is lots of research involved here. Like "what kind of fabric is it anyways?" and "what's the trick to sewing on charmeuse without it puckering?" (Thus the need for different needles.) Ever heard of a french seam?
In the meantime, we have stepped up the dog training. Sadie goes twice a week now, and we study lots of detailed info about dogs in the car, all potential questions that may be asked during showmanship.
This isn't for the faint of heart. Or those who want to spend their summer relaxing on an air mattress in the lake.
There is though, a reason for the madness. I want my kids to feel the sense of accomplishment that comes when a finished project is delivered to the fair, and the pride of being able to say "I did this". I hope they learn, as I did, that projects are about jumping in and doing, figuring out the details along the way and researching what you need to know.
I hope the lessons live on past the summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment