Monday, March 25, 2013

DC rundown.

I arrived, with my group, in DC on St. Patrick's Day.
Someone at the White House has a sense of humor, as the fountain sprayed green that day.

I am sitting here a bit blankly, trying to think of what to tell you about my trip. It is still ruminating, and I guess the analysis has not been spit out yet.
So a rundown on what I saw and did:

  • A bus tour of the highlights- major buildings and monuments, on the first day. It was a great way to get orientated. 
  • I sat in on a Supreme Court session for 3 minutes. The real deal. 
  • Library of Congress. More interesting than one would assume. 
  • Smithsonian Castle. Plus a meeting with an HR person from there. Sorta got an inside story. 
  • Visited lots of "old friends" from my art history days at the Hirshhorn Museum. 
  • Peace Corp office. Meeting also. 
  • Consulate of American Indians- I forget the whole and complete name. Meeting there. 
  • Capitol, of course. 
  • Al Franken's breakfast meeting. Great breakfast dish- got the recipe. 
  • Kennedy Center. Can say I've sang in the Kennedy center. Took in a free jazz concert there. 
  • Lots of metro rides. The best way to travel DC. 
  • Lots of good restaurants. I tried many new vegetable dishes. 
  • I did meet Mindi- I tried oysters on the half shell and roe while she observed. Okay, she tasted the roe. I liked them, but I am brave that way. She was brave to drive in DC- she handled it well. 
  • Lots of walking. I like that- great way to see the city. 
  • A fun roommate- we sat up visiting too late most nights. 
There is still plenty to see and do, so I would love to go back to this wonderful city. Anyone want to come? 



2 comments:

Yvonne said...

yes! i do! i do!
we were there as a family 2 months before 9/11 and even toured the big house.
Mt. Vernon was an unexpected BONUS side trip.

MindiJo said...

I'll meet you again. After I update my GPS. :)