Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sugar sand in ND.

 The first night of our trip we spent north of Bismark, ND, on the shores of the wide Missouri river.
The shoreline was sandy- steep from erosion in some areas, but wide enough to go play on in other areas. The kids loved the sand. I figure if we can find a sugar sand beach in ND, we can find one anywhere. When we got there it was really windy, so there were big waves. It felt kinda like an ocean. In North Dakota.
We stayed at state parks throughout our trip. At this one, we got a huge log cabin to stay in. There was also yurts to rent. Maybe next time. Before we left, we visited Fort Mandan. I learned a lot about Lewis and Clark. Fort Mandan gave me the most complete idea of Lewis and Clark's expedition of anywhere I have visited.

Our one thing we missed on the trip was lawn chairs. We simply didn't have room for them. We had the seven of us packed in the minivan, plus our gear (we packed light) and just didn't have room for them. We considered renting a cartop carrier, but decided it wasn't worth the decrease in gas mileage.
We were going to buy some cheap chairs in Custer, SD, but Pamida there didn't have what we needed.
We got along without.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

More, more!!
~ann b.

Krista said...

Mark and I just stayed at Cross Ranch, saw your names in the guestbook! We really liked the park too. Also, I've been learning more about L&C in the last few months than ever before.

Yvonne said...

i like the sound of that, "on the shores of the Mississippi."

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Me and Jenny happened to find a sugar sandy beach in Oklahoma also :)

Jan said...

Krista-
so glad you enjoyed the park, too!