(Maria S., Joel I. and Sam. Way to the right between those two trees is where the first stage occurred.)Yes, it was the day for butchering chickens. These kids are country kids, and they had no qualms carrying plucked chickens over from the kill and pluck area to the butchering area.
This year we raised meat birds for Troy and Nora also, so they came and helped butcher. Julie and kids came for a refresher course on how to do it, as they have 7 birds growing. The kids will probably have fond memories of butcher day: ..."remember when we butchered chickens and we had to carry them and we played and played with our cousins..."
Julie was saying, and I agree, that when you raise your own meat, you tend to use more of it and not waste it, throwing less away (such as cooking down the chicken frame for broth, etc.) We think it is because you are connected to the animal- God's creature that gave up it's life to feed us, and because we put labor into raising it, not just spending money. I did request the tongue from our steer that was butchered. The oldies at my fun job were claiming it is good. Send any good recipes for beef tongue my way, please.
21 chickens wrapped and in the freezers. Feels good to be done with that project.
2 comments:
good perspective on butchering.
I think it's all great! I have fond memories of butchering day as a kid. My favorite part (which probably horrifies many) was when the chickens would run around after they were butchered. I also remember what hard work it was - plucking, cleaning, etc. Great job. I'm a want-to-be farm girl.
Post a Comment